Preheat the oven to 350ºF and pre-measure the ingredients for both the shortbread & the brownies.
Prepare and blind bake the shortbread:
- Combine the melted butter, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl using a rubber spatula.
- Then add in the flour and salt and combine. The dough will be a little buttery and greasy but don’t worry, that’s how it should be!
- Grease an aluminum 8”x8” baking pan.
- Dump the shortbread dough into the baking pan and using either your hands or a rubber spatula, begin to press and spread the shortbread until it reaches the edges of your pan.
- To blind bake the shortbread: Place a piece of parchment paper on top of the shortbread crust and fill it with pie weights, rice or dried beans.
- Blind bake the shortbread for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix together the brownie mix:
- In a large bowl, add the red wine, egg and vegetable oil. Whisk together until nice and bubbly!
- Then add the brownie mix and chocolate chips and whisk until completely combined.
- After 15 minutes, remove the shortbread from the oven:
- Turn the heat on the oven down to 325ºF
- Carefully take the parchment paper and beans from the top of the pie crust (they will be hot)!
- Prick the shortbread crust with a fork all over. This will help the moisture escape and the heat distribute evenly throughout this next step of the baking.
- Add the brownie batter on top of the shortbread and bake for 35 – 38 minutes.
To tell when the brownies are done…
- Use a toothpick and dip into the center of the brownie and see if it comes out clean.
- And/or you can also “listen” to the brownie. If it is still fizzing a bit, it likely needs a few more minutes.
- Remove the brownies from the oven and top with sea salt.
- Allow the brownies to cool completely before cutting in and devouring!